The Little Brothers of Saint John the Baptist
Commissioned by Bishop Melchior Sun De-zhen (1869-1951) of China, Father Frédéric-Vincent Lebbe founded the Little Brothers of Saint John the Baptist in 1928 in the Diocese of Anguo, Hebei. It was the first seminary established in China for Chinese Catholics to practice and to spread Catholicism in dioceses and establish local Catholic churches in China.
The Little Brothers of Saint John the Baptist grew rapidly at the beginning, and branches were established in Beiping, Shanxi, and Shaanxi very soon to spread Catholicism and provide various social services. When the communist party took over China in 1949, some brothers escaped to Hong Kong and continued their missionary, relief, and education work at the refugee camp in Tiu Keng Leng. They also founded a primary and secondary school in the Chinese name of FatherLebbe (today’s Catholic Ming Yuen Secondary School).
In 1954 some brothers went to Taiwan and built churches and seminaries in Jingmei, Taipei, and in Taichung City to preach and recruit and train new members for the congregations until today. Since the Little Brothers of Saint John the Baptist took over the administration of St. Viotar in August 1984 until Today, Incumbent president Father Liang De-sheng.
Clerics of Saint Viator
The Clerics of Saint Viator (CSV) was named after Saint Viator. Saint Viator was a 4th-century catechist in France who had helped countless young people to step on the right and bright track. In the name of Saint Viator, Father Louis Querbes founded the CSV for followers to practice Saint Viator’s spirit: devotion to spiritual life, education of youth, and spreading Catholicism.
Father Louis Querbes was a Frenchman who founded the CSV in 1831. With special concerns about education for youth, all schools he founded were thus exceptionally outstanding. Four Viatorians came to northeastern China in 1931 and founded the Xiaodong Middle School. After the communists took over China, the CSV came to Taiwan to establish St. Viator High School on the commission of Bishop William Francis Kupfer. Over the past 53 years or so, ten fathers and nine brothers from the CSV have served at St. Viator.